1. Pat the scallops dry with kitchen paper and put on a plate. Sift the 2 tbsp cornflour into a shallow bowl.
2. To make the batter, pour the soda water into a mixing bowl and whisk in the cornflour to make a batter roughly the consistency of double cream. Add the turmeric and icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
3. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 180°C. (Alternatively, half fill a medium heavy-based saucepan with sunflower oil and heat to 180°C. Use a cooking thermometer to check the temperature.) Do not allow the oil to overheat. Do not leave hot oil unattended. While the oil is heating, mix the mayonnaise with the lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
4. When the oil is hot enough, dip the scallops one at a time in the cornflour then the batter until evenly coated. Drop very gently into the oil. Watch out for splashes as the oil will be extremely hot. Cook four scallops at a time for about 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm while the remainder are prepared.
5. Serve the crisp battered scallops in the shells, garnished with rocket and lemon wedges. Add a dab of mayonnaise to each scallop just before serving.
Please note this recipe is the contestant's own and has not been tested professionally. Like the Come Dine With Me contestants, you could be creating a culinary delight or dining disaster, so switch on your ovens and be bold.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes