1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease and base-line a 23cm spring-clip cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Stir the caster sugar and water together in medium saucepan over a low heat without boiling until the sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until the sugar caramelises and turns golden brown.
3. Pour slowly into the prepared tin. Take extreme care as the caramel will be vey hot and can burn you. Top with the sliced bananas and set aside to cool.
4. Beat the eggs, oil, demerara sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Stir in the flour, spice and soda. Add the mashed bananas and beat together well. Pour the cake batter over the caramel bananas and smooth the surface.
5. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 40 minutes or until the cake is well risen and firm to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn onto a cooling rack and peel off the lining paper. Serve warm in wedges with whipped cream, flavoured with ground cinnamon.
Please note this recipe is the contestant's own and has not been tested professionally. Like the Come Dine With Me contestants, you could be creating a culinary delight or dining disaster, so switch on your ovens and be bold.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes