Make this your starter with a simple Italian flourish
1. Make a sponge mixing 250g flour, 200ml of water and half the yeast the night before to make a sponge/sloppy bread.
2. Add the rest of the water, flour, yeast plus the milk, oil, salt and sugar the day of making.
3. Let the bread-making machine knead it briefly.
4. Place in hot place to rise. Leave it for a hour to 90 mins, basically until it doubles or even trebles in size. The longer you leave it the more the chewy it is!
5. Bake at Gas Mark 7 for 25 to 30 minutes.
Recipe taken/adapted from The Bread Machine Book by Linda Doeser. Publisher: Parragon Books.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes