Sunday lunch - sorted! This My Big Fat Diet Show roast beef from Matt Dawson is perfect for the whole family
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Tip the new potatoes into a medium sized baking tray along with the parsnips and spray with oil, add the leaves from the sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Cook in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden and tender.
3. Mix together the mustard powder and rock salt, roll the meat in this mixture. Heat the oil in a large frying pan to a high heat, sear the beef in the oil on all sides. Remove from the pan and set on a trivet made of a couple of slices of sweet potato. Place in the oven for half an hour. When cooked, leave to rest for 10 minutes covered in a piece of foil.
4. Meanwhile make the gravy; tip the onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme and 100ml of the stock into a medium sized pan and bring to a simmer, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and there is only a little stock left. Mix the cornflour with 2 teaspoons of the remaining stock and pour the rest into the pan and heat through. Add the cornflour and stock mixture to the pan and simmer for a further 4-5 minutes. Pass through a fine sieve and serve.
5. Peel and dice the sweet potato and butternut squash, cook in a pan of simmering water until tender, drain then mash.
6. Set a steamer over the pan of sweet potato and squash and steam the broccoli for 3-4 minutes.
7. Carve the meat and serve with the vegetables and gravy.
- You could use the gravy without sieving with many diferent meats.
- You could use chicken stock instead of beef for a lighter sauce.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes