Catch the spirit of Christmas with these pretty but easy-make snowflake carrot cupcakes made from the recipe for the carrot cake mixture.
Takes 1 1/2 hours to make and decorate, about 45 minutes to bake, plus cooling and setting
For the vanilla butter cream
For the chocolate frosting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Line 2 x 12-hole muffin tins with paper muffin cases. Make the carrot cake mixture. Divide most of the mixture between the paper cases, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until risen and golden. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Line 4 more muffin cases and fill with the remaining mixture. Bake and cool as before.
Visit www.squires-shop.com for Christmas red colouring, muffin cases, sugar paste and clear edible glitter flakes. For the Tala snowflake cutters see our offer below.
2. Make the butter cream. Beat the butter until soft and creamy, then gradually add the icing sugar. Beat in the vanilla extract for about 1 minute, until light and fluffy.
3. Make the chocolate frosting. Put the chocolate, milk and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently until the chocolate and butter have melted. Take off the heat and stir in the icing sugar until smooth.
4. Pour the chocolate frosting over half the cupcakes and allow to set slightly before decorating. Spread the butter cream over the remaining cupcakes, using a small palette knife.
5. For the snowflake decorations, colour 250g of the white sugar paste with the Christmas red colouring paste until it is a deep, rich red - knead until evenly coloured. Roll out to 3mm thick on a surface dusted with icing sugar, keeping the paste moving to stop it sticking. Using the cutters, cut out a variety of snowflakes and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with the remaining sugar paste. You will need about 28 snowflakes in each colour. Set aside to dry and firm up.
6. Using a pastry brush, brush the snowflakes lightly with water. Sprinkle liberally with edible glitter and arrange on top of the cupcakes.
© delicious. magazine
20.8g fat (7.1g saturated)
Contributed by delicious. magazine
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes