Heavenly, golden clusters of prawns in a spicy, crispy batter from Indian chef Manju Malhi
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
1. Sprinkle the tumeric and salt over the prawns and set aside.
2. Put the ginger, garlic and onion in a large bowl, then stir in the flour, cumin and chilli powder.
3. Pour in 100ml water and mix with a fork until a thick batter forms. If it appears runny, add a little extra flour, then stir in the prawns.
4. Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a heavy-based saucepan over a high heat or in a deep-fat fryer to 190°C/375°F, or until a small drop of the batter sizzles fiercely in the oil.
5. Drop 1 tablespoon on the batter into the oil and fry for 1 minute or until it turns golden brown.
6. Remove the fritter from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Allow to cool for 1 minute, then taste the fritter and adjust the seasoning of the batter, adding more salt if necessary.
7. Fry the remaining fritters, working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, if necessary. Remove any pieces of fried batter from the oil and return the oil to the correct temperature before adding each new batch. Serve hot.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes