The Hairy Bikers backed Blighty's World Cup challenge with this classically British steak and ale pie
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7.
2. Pour flour into a bowl and season well. Coat the meat with the seasoned flour.
3. Heat half the butter in a heated pan and add the meat. Sear all over until golden brown.
4. Add the vegetables, herbs, ale and stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and gently simmer for 1 hour.
5. When cooked, season, add the remaining butter and pour into an ovenproof serving dish.
6. Brush the edge of the dish with the beaten egg.
7. Roll out the pastry using as little flour as possible and place over the dish. Pinch the edges of the dish so that the pastry will stick to it and trim off any remaining pieces of pastry from around the edge.
8. Brush the pastry top thoroughly with the remaining beaten egg and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown on top.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes