Fishcakes can be more exciting than you may think. The lemon and capers in these easy fishcake recipe are complemented by the zingy horseradish and lemon mayo and, served with a green salad, make a lovely light meal.
Takes 50 minutes to make, plus chilling
For the horseradish mayo
1. Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling, salted water for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, mash and set aside, covered.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high. Put the haddock in a roasting tin and brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill for 8-10 minutes or until just cooked through. Set aside to cool, then discard the skin and bones and flake into chunks.
3. Gently fold the haddock, capers, lemon zest, parsley and egg yolk into the mash, and season. Shape the mixture into 8 fishcakes and cover and chill for 20 minutes or overnight.
4. Meanwhile, spoon the mayo into a bowl. Mix in the horseradish, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill until needed.
5. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Dust the fishcakes with a little flour and fry for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden.
Tip: Serve 2 per person with the horseradish mayo, lemon wedges and a mixed salad, if you like.
© delicious. magazine
Lightly oaked whites chime in nicely with smoked fish, so try an oaky Chardonnay here - South Africa offers some good value examples of this style.
39.1g fat (5.9g saturated)
Contributed by delicious. magazine