This sausage casserole recipe is a brilliant example of maximum reward for minimum effort: it's so easy to prepare that you can plan next week's menus while you're at it.
Ready in 1 hour
1. Heat the butter in a large, deep saucepan over a low heat. Add the sliced onion and fry gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and beginning to caramelise.
2. Add the sugar to the pan, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3 minutes, until the onions are fully caramelised.
3. Reduce the heat to low again, add the garlic and tomato purée to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the stock and Worcestershire sauce, bring to the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the spuds and cook for 15 minutes, until soft. Add the cooked bangers - I tend to cut mine into 4 bits, but feel free to leave them whole or chop them up small. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the sausages are piping hot throughout.
5. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lots of yummy greens.
© delicious. magazine
37.4g fat (15g saturated)
Contributed by delicious. magazine
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes