Vegetarians will love this easy recipe for giant tomatoes stuffed with some of Italy's finest things, including delightfully cheesy Parmesan rice
Takes 30 minutes to make and 35-40 minutes in the oven
1. Cut a 2cm thick slice off the top of each beef tomato. Scoop out the pulp with a melon baller or teaspoon into a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat, until soft but not browned.
3. Add the tomato pulp to the pan, increase the heat slightly, and simmer vigorously for about 10 minutes, stirring now and then, until the mixture is well-reduced and thickened.
4. Stir in the rice, sun-dried tomatoes and the vegetable stock, cover and leave to cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, until the rice is only half-cooked. Stir in the basil, lemon zest and Parmesan and season to taste.
5. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Put the hollowed out tomatoes into a lightly oiled baking dish and fill with the rice mixture. Replace the tops and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the tomatoes are tender and the rice is cooked through. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with a crisp mixed salad.
© delicious. magazine
A fruity, ripe, bright Provence rosé will stand up to these flavours well.
9.1g fat (2.3g saturated)
Contributed by delicious. magazine
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes