These frozen sandwiches give your kids the best of both worlds: a healthy treat in a fun, frozen bar
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F or gas mark 5). Line two 10 × 15-inch (25 x 37.5cm) baking pans with parchment paper.
2. In a large saucepan, melt shortening over medium heat, stirring often. Remove from heat and add brown sugar, syrup, certified gluten-free oats, coconut, vanilla, and salt. Mix until well blended. Pour mixture onto one prepared baking pan and press mixture down evenly with a long metal spatula. Bake for about 10 minutes or until browned and bubbling all over. Remove and let cool to room temperature.
3. With a sharp metal spatula, cut into 36 small matching rectangles. Place 18 of the rectangles, smooth side down, side by side in a single layer on the second prepared baking pan to make a firm, large rectangle in half of the pan.
4. Spoon frozen Rice Dream or alternative over the entire cookie surface until it is evenly covered, about 2 inches deep. (If it gets too slushy, refreeze for 10 minutes or until firm.) Place remaining cookies over frozen layer to make sandwiches. Cover and freeze for 4 hours.
5. Remove sandwiches from the freezer and with a metal spatula cut out each rectangle bar, following the edges of the cookie pattern. Trim sandwich edges evenly if you like. Serve immediately or wrap in parchment and freeze in a re-sealable plastic bag for up to two weeks.
© Leslie Hammond and Lynee Marie Rominger from The Allergy-Free Cookbook for Kids
Buy the book online
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes