A warming winter starter or party canape, these cheese fritters taste meltingly delicious served with homemade chilli jam. Chef Gareth Johns served the fritters with a small salad as a winning starter on Iron Chef UK
Serves 6-8 as a starter, or about 20 as a canape
1. Make a thick white sauce by melting the butter, adding the flour and cooking out to make a roux before gradually stirring in the milk until you have the desired consistency.
2. Stir in all the grated cheese and both mustards. Season well and leave to cool.
3. When cold, cut into squares (or fingers) and coat in flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
4. Deep fry in hot vegetable oil until golden brown (3-4 minutes).
5. Sweat the garlic in a little vegetable oil, then add the chilli, tomato paste, sugar and vinegar and cook out for 1 minute.
6. Add the skinned, chopped and de-seeded tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook until thick, adding a little more sugar and vegetable stock or water as necessary.
7. Dress the salad leaves with a little olive oil and cider vinegar to taste.
8. Dress a small pile of salad at one end, add two croquettes, one atop the other, and a small pool of jam.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes