Hugh makes the most of the humble carrot with this winter salad recipe from River Cottage Every Day
Hugh: "This is particularly lovely made with young summer carrots, freshly pulled and no more than thumb-thick. Don't peel them unless you really have to - just scrub them before slicing in half down the middle. Or, if they're really slender, leave them whole."
1. Put the oil and butter into a large roasting dish and leave in an oven preheated to 180°C/Gas Mark 4 for a couple of minutes, until the butter melts.
2. Remove from the oven and add the carrots, cumin and plenty of seasoning. Toss together, cover with foil and return to the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
3. Remove from the oven, take off the foil and give everything a good stir. Then return to the oven, uncovered, for about 20-30 minutes, so the carrots start to caramelise.
4. In a separate bowl mix the cooked chickpeas with the orange zest and a good squeeze or two of the juice, the olive oil, cider apple vinegar, salt and black pepper.
5. Take the roasted carrots from the oven and stir in the chickpeas. Serve at once topped with a handful of cress.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes