Well made faggots are a wonderful thing. Ask a good butcher about getting hold of caul fat - if you have difficulty in getting hold of some, wrapping them in bacon is an appropriate and flavoursome alternative
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Roughly chop then coarsely mince all the meats and combine in a bowl.
3. Add the breadcrumbs, onion, herbs, spices and some salt and pepper and mix together thoroughly.
4. Shape mixture into six balls.
5. Wrap each in a square of caul fat. Cut it large enough to overlap - it will bind on itself to hold the faggots together.
6. If you're using streaky bacon, stretch each rasher with the back of a heavy knife, making them as long and as wide as possible (approximately two per faggot).
7. Flatten the balls slightly and place on a baking sheet or in an ovenproof dish into which they fit snugly and roast for 50 to 60 minutes, basting once or twice.
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes