You'll want more than one a day with this perfectly spiced apple cake on the F Word
For the sponge
For the apples
1. Pre heat the oven to 180°C.
2. For the sponge mixture, sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl with the salt and caster sugar. Cut in the butter and rub together with your fingers until you form a breadcrumb texture (or do this using a food processor).
3. Beat the egg in a measuring jug with the vanilla essence then pour in milk up to the 110ml mark. Add the milk and egg to the flour mixture and bring together to form the sponge, add a little orange zest (leaving most for the apple mixture) and mix through.
4. Next, peel, core and dice the apples. Add the butter to a hot frying pan and toss the apples through before caramelising with the honey. Add the chopped dates and cinnamon to the pan along with the rest of the orange zest. Cook for a few minutes making sure that the apples are evenly coated in the honey caramel.
5. Divide the cooked apples into four individual baking dishes (approx 250ml volume each) and use a piping bag to squeeze a thin layer of the sponge mixture on top. Scatter the sponge with flaked almonds and bake for 18 minutes until golden and risen in the centre.
6. Serve the individual cakes with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream on top and dust with icing sugar.
© Gordon Ramsay
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes