Gordon takes on Jo Brand with a curry cook-off in the F Word kitchen, serving up this spicy vegetable curry
For the madras curry paste
1. For the curry paste: In a hot frying pan, dry roast the coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Grind in a pestle and mortar with the mustard seeds, poppy seeds and peppercorns, when ground to a fine paste add the chilli powder, salt, turmeric, ginger and mix together well. Add the vinegar and oil and mix to a smooth paste. The paste will keep for up to one month if refrigerated in an airtight container.
2. For the curry: Heat the oil in a large pan and add the aubergine, shallot, garlic and chillies. Cook, stirring, for a minute or so until the garlic is fragrant. Add the celeriac and cardamom pods to the pan (remember to remove them before serving) fry for 1-2 minutes before adding the green pepper, cauliflower, broccoli and courgettes. Continue to stir over a high heat for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add 3 tbsp of the curry paste and stir to coat the vegetables, leave to cook out for a minute or two before adding the zest of a lemon and a handful of chopped coriander.
4. Tip in the tomatoes, and 100 ml of water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
5. Turn down the heat and stir in the yoghurt and another handful of coriander. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.
6. Serve with rice.
©Gordon Ramsay 200. All rights reserved