Perfect pommes are great in a pudding as Gordon demonstrates with his moreish apple crumble recipe on the F Word
For the apple filling
For the crumble topping
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Heat a sauté pan until hot. Add the caster sugar and melt to form a light caramel. Add the chopped apples and vanilla seeds, and heat for 2-3 minutes tossing frequently. Stir in the crystallized ginger, orange zest and continue to cook for a further 4-5 minutes to soften, adding a few tablespoons of water if the mixture becomes dry.
3. Stir in the sultanas, dried cranberries and star anise to the apple mixture and continue to cook for a further 5-6 minutes, tossing frequently until the pieces feel just tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. It may be necessary to add a splash of water to loosen throughout cooking. Remove from the heat and cool slightly while you make the topping. Remove the star anise and discard.
4. Place the flour, salt and butter in a bowl and using your fingertips work together until a breadcrumb texture has been achieved. Lightly crush the hazelnuts in a large bowl using the end of a rolling pin. Add the porridge oats, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest and crushed hazelnuts and mix until fully incorporated.
5. Layer the fruit into the bottom of your baking dish, scatter the crumble topping over the fruit. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the topping is nicely browned. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
© Gordon Ramsay
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes