Eric Lanlard from Channel 4 show Glamour Puds steps up to the plate with his super creamy crème brulee
Eric: "Forget the old café type crème brulee. Ginger, vanilla and lemongrass is mixed in a mortar, then infused with hot double cream to make this unusual burnt cream. It will be caramelized when cold with brown sugar and decorated with crystallized lemongrass."
Makes 6 servings (if using shallow creme brulee dishes) or 4 servings (if using deep ramekins)
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C.
2. Put the ginger and lemon grass in a food processor and zap them to a paste.
3. In a saucepan add the cream, milk, split vanilla pod and the lemongrass and ginger paste then heat slowly until hot but not boiling.
4. In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs with the sugar until white and fluffy. Slowly pour the hot cream over the egg mixture mixing continuously.
5. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
6. Pour the cream into a shallow dish and bake it for approximately 40 - 45 minutes until the mixture is wobbly.
7. Leave to cool down and sprinkle some Demerara sugar on the top and caramelize with a blow torch before serving.
© Eric Lanlard
The best chefs on TV and over 6,000 recipes